April 17, 2013

Up the duff knits

Just because I haven't posted here in a year doesn't mean I haven't been knitting!  

With baby due in 4 weeks I have had an excellent excuse for knitting small projects for little ones.

I've joined Ravelry.com and love it, it's great for finding patterns and project ideas, and for seeing what yarn will look like knitted up.  I've posted a couple of projects there, as leenbeanknits (with 3 million users it's tricky coming up with a unique username).

My first attempt at a garment (not including beanies and socks) was this 'Pebble Vest', made with the gorgeous yarn Debbie Bliss Luxury Aran Tweed - thanks Karla! It was knit flat on straight needles as one piece, with only one seam to sew on the shoulder- easy peasy!

The pattern is from Nikol Lohr, and is on Ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pebble-henrys-manly-cobblestone-inspired-baby-vest
We don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet, but who says blue is only for boys? This is such a pretty yarn, I had to make something cute with it. And there's still one skein left which I have plans for.
  
Then I made with this little beanie, inspired by Willow's strawberry beanie which looked so adorable on her as a baby. This is the blueberry version, using yarn I had in my stash from my birthday crafternoon.   I found the pattern on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/berry-baby-hat thanks to Michele Sabatier.

I still had yarn leftover so I made Georgie Hallam's 'Milo' vest, also from Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/milo-3
It was so easy and knit in the round so no boring seams to knit together at the end (my favourite kind of project). I haven't blocked it yet, don't know if I will bother.
 
 
I also received some beautiful hand-spun yarn from my workmate Caris at Christmas. She spun it herself, from a mix of silk and wool.So on another workmate's suggestion (thanks Jackie) I made a baby blanket. Mum helped knit a few squares, and I had just enough yarn to finish it off with the bobble edging.  I love the result, especially the rustic colours.

3 comments:

kerstin said...

i love your knitting projects! Especially the hat and blanket. Such beautiful earthy colours! Your baby is lucky to have such a talented mum! :)

Eileen said...

thanks kida! It's so nice to have time to knit, I'm making the most of it before the baby arrives.

ursulasal said...

What a great knitter you are, Eileen! I admire your patience. Lovely projects!